THIS WEEK'S SPONSOR:

Kolide

The Fleet Visibility Solution for Mac, Windows, and Linux to Help You Securely Scale Your Business


54% Of Web Video Now HTML5 Compatible? Maybe, And Maybe Not.

The latest study published by video search engine MeFeedia shows that 54% of H.264 video content served via Flash is now available in the open HTML5 standard as well. The company has analyzed content from publishers like Youtube, Vimeo, Hulu, MySpace and Ustream, and basing on the data they gathered it really seems like Steve Jobs’ bet on the open video format is starting to pay off.

While it’s true that most of the videos I consume every day from my favorite sources (namely Youtube and Vimeo) is available in iOS-compatible format, I don’t know whether this 54% reported by MeFeedia has to be considered an accurate estimate or an exaggerated report. As All Things D also notices, MeFeedia’s stats include “old archival stuff” and sources of Chinese video. If we consider these stats accurate, however, it would be a 30% increase since MeFeedia’s scan last May. Not bad.

Still, I have to agree with Peter Kafka when he points out that Hulu’s iPad-compatible content requires a subscription and many websites promoted by Apple as “HTML5-ready” keep on publishing Flash-only content. Every day I stumble upon a cool article or tutorial somewhere on the internet from a website that hasn’t re-encoded content for iOS devices yet.

So is it really a huge 54% share? It may be. We’ll just have to see whether the remaining 46% will jump on board in the upcoming months or not.

Unlock More with Club MacStories

Founded in 2015, Club MacStories has delivered exclusive content every week for over six years.

In that time, members have enjoyed nearly 400 weekly and monthly newsletters packed with more of your favorite MacStories writing as well as Club-only podcasts, eBooks, discounts on apps, icons, and services. Join today, and you’ll get everything new that we publish every week, plus access to our entire archive of back issues and downloadable perks.

The Club expanded in 2021 with Club MacStories+ and Club Premier. Club MacStories+ members enjoy even more exclusive stories, a vibrant Discord community, a rotating roster of app discounts, and more. And, with Club Premier, you get everything we offer at every Club level plus an extended, ad-free version of our podcast AppStories that is delivered early each week in high-bitrate audio.

Choose the Club plan that’s right for you:

  • Club MacStories: Weekly and monthly newsletters via email and the web that are brimming with app collections, tips, automation workflows, longform writing, a Club-only podcast, periodic giveaways, and more;
  • Club MacStories+: Everything that Club MacStories offers, plus exclusive content like Federico’s Automation Academy and John’s Macintosh Desktop Experience, a powerful web app for searching and exploring over 6 years of content and creating custom RSS feeds of Club content, an active Discord community, and a rotating collection of discounts, and more;
  • Club Premier: Everything in from our other plans and AppStories+, an extended version of our flagship podcast that’s delivered early, ad-free, and in high-bitrate audio.