A few hours ago the Dev Team released a public version of redsn0w (version 0.9.6b4) which can jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 on all devices and install a working Cydia, also on the iPad. As we wrote last night, though, this one’s a first jailbreak for iOS 4.2.1, and it’s a tethered one.
This means that unless you have an older device (iPhone3G, older iPhone3GS, and non-MC iPod touch 2G) you’ll be forced to manually boot in a “jailbroken state” on every device reboot using redsn0w on your computer. And considering that many jailbreak tweaks force you to reboot your device, you can guess a tethered jailbreak it’s a real pain to deal with.
To sum up, here’s the list of devices and different boot methods:
- iPhone 3G – unthetered
- iPhone 3Gs old iBoot – unthetered
- iPod Touch 2G MB – unthetered
- iPhone 3Gs new iBoot – tethered
- iPhone 4 – tethered
- iPod Touch 2G MC – tethered
- iPod Touch 3G – tethered
- iPod touch 4G – tethered
- iPad – tethered
Developer chpwn himself (well known in the Cydia development scene) suggests waiting for “the upcoming correct jailbreak” which by the way will also need you to restore your device. From a quick search on Twitter and basing on the reader emails we got last night, it looks like Cydia is working on the iPad – but a very few tweaks and apps have been updated to work properly on iOS 4.2.1. Another reason why you should wait for the “real thing”, the untethered jailbreak.
If you, however, want to go ahead and jailbreak, just go download redsn0w and follow the instructions. You’re welcome to report back in the comments about the Cydia apps working correctly on iOS 4.2.1.
Unlock More with Club MacStories
Founded in 2015, Club MacStories has delivered exclusive content every week for over six years.
In that time, members have enjoyed nearly 400 weekly and monthly newsletters packed with more of your favorite MacStories writing as well as Club-only podcasts, eBooks, discounts on apps, icons, and services. Join today, and you’ll get everything new that we publish every week, plus access to our entire archive of back issues and downloadable perks.
The Club expanded in 2021 with Club MacStories+ and Club Premier. Club MacStories+ members enjoy even more exclusive stories, a vibrant Discord community, a rotating roster of app discounts, and more. And, with Club Premier, you get everything we offer at every Club level plus an extended, ad-free version of our podcast AppStories that is delivered early each week in high-bitrate audio.
Choose the Club plan that’s right for you:
- Club MacStories: Weekly and monthly newsletters via email and the web that are brimming with app collections, tips, automation workflows, longform writing, a Club-only podcast, periodic giveaways, and more;
- Club MacStories+: Everything that Club MacStories offers, plus exclusive content like Federico’s Automation Academy and John’s Macintosh Desktop Experience, a powerful web app for searching and exploring over 6 years of content and creating custom RSS feeds of Club content, an active Discord community, and a rotating collection of discounts, and more;
- Club Premier: Everything in from our other plans and AppStories+, an extended version of our flagship podcast that’s delivered early, ad-free, and in high-bitrate audio.