Apple has introduced a new feature in the Today tab of the App Store called 'This Weekend Only.' Each Thursday, one app will offer an exclusive deal to users that lasts through Sunday.
The new feature is being kicked off with five deals instead of one:
- Hotel Tonight - up to 40% off original room prices
- Glasses by Warby Parker - a free geometric case with any weekend order
- Under Armour - $20 off orders of $100 or more
- Chipotle - free chips and queso with an entree
- Shoptiques - 15% off orders over $100
The new promotion strikes me as a good way to help drive traffic to the App Store on weekends, which are slow sales days for many developers. It also makes sense to kick off the App Store’s new feature with apps from relatively large companies with broad appeal, but I hope that in the long run, smaller independent development shops are included too.