We didn’t see this coming this soon, did we? Last night, the Chronic Dev Team released its jailbreak tool greenpois0n - the much anticipated software to jailbreak devices running iOS 4.1. The Chronic Dev Team decided to save its exploit “SHAtter” for the future, though, which means greenpois0n is based on Geohot’s exploit - the same one used in limera1n.
The devices supported by greenpois0n are:
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 3G S
- iPod touch (4th Generation)
- iPod touch (3rd Generation)
If you’re already running a jailbroken device thanks to limera1n, then you don’t need to use greenpois0n. The tool is very easy to use and requires you to plug in your device and follow the instructions on screen to activate the DFU mode. Once you’re in DFU mode, greenpois0n will automatically install the required jailbreak software.
Also interesting are the tweets by @musclenerd earlier today: an unlock tool will be offered in the future once 4.2 is out, and a new build of PwnageTool will be released later this week to support the Apple TV 2G.
Jailbreak for the Apple TV will be “limited”, and it’s no surprise: many apps and tweaks from Cydia won’t simply make sense (or work) on the Apple TV. Do you need multitasking while watching a movie? Do you want to create folders or have some sort of Exposè on it? It’ll be interesting to see what Cydia developers will come up with.
A new device is always good for creativity.
Unlock More with Club MacStories
Founded in 2015, Club MacStories has delivered exclusive content every week for over six years.
In that time, members have enjoyed nearly 400 weekly and monthly newsletters packed with more of your favorite MacStories writing as well as Club-only podcasts, eBooks, discounts on apps, icons, and services. Join today, and you’ll get everything new that we publish every week, plus access to our entire archive of back issues and downloadable perks.
The Club expanded in 2021 with Club MacStories+ and Club Premier. Club MacStories+ members enjoy even more exclusive stories, a vibrant Discord community, a rotating roster of app discounts, and more. And, with Club Premier, you get everything we offer at every Club level plus an extended, ad-free version of our podcast AppStories that is delivered early each week in high-bitrate audio.
Choose the Club plan that’s right for you:
- Club MacStories: Weekly and monthly newsletters via email and the web that are brimming with app collections, tips, automation workflows, longform writing, a Club-only podcast, periodic giveaways, and more;
- Club MacStories+: Everything that Club MacStories offers, plus exclusive content like Federico’s Automation Academy and John’s Macintosh Desktop Experience, a powerful web app for searching and exploring over 6 years of content and creating custom RSS feeds of Club content, an active Discord community, and a rotating collection of discounts, and more;
- Club Premier: Everything in from our other plans and AppStories+, an extended version of our flagship podcast that’s delivered early, ad-free, and in high-bitrate audio.
Federico is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of MacStories, where he writes about Apple with a focus on apps, developers, iPad, and iOS productivity. He founded MacStories in April 2009 and has been writing about Apple since. Federico is also the co-host of AppStories, a weekly podcast exploring the world of apps, and Dialog, a show where creativity meets technology.
He can also be found on his two other podcasts on Relay FM – Connected and Remaster.
Instagram: @viticci |