BGR is reporting numbers shared by one of their Apple sources about sales and pre-orders of the Verizon iPhone which apparently are “performing a little under what Apple and Verizon anticipated”. BGR has posted the following numbers from 5 Apple Stores combined, including “two very, very prominent stores”:
- Thursday: Verizon = 909, AT&T = 539
- Friday: Verizon = 916, AT&T = 680
- Saturday: Verizon = 660, AT&T = 471
- Sunday: Verizon = 796, AT&T = 701
- Monday: Verizon = 711, AT&T = 618
These numbers refer to first five days of availability of the device in 5 different Apple retail stores. BGR also reports pre-orders amounted to 550,000 units. As for who’s buying the Verizon iPhone:
We also have some statistics on who’s buying Verizon iPhones to share with you: 30% of people buying Verizon iPhones were Android users, just over 25% of people buying iPhone 4 were BlackBerry users, and only 14% of people buying the Verizon iPhone were AT&T iPhone owners. The remaining percent didn’t want to say, didn’t have a smartphone, or didn’t have a phone prior to making their iPhone 4 purchases last week.
As of today, Apple hasn’t announced how many Verizon iPhones were sold or pre-ordered. We do know, however, that the iPhone 4 broke Verizon’s sales record in two hours. Also, looking at the numbers posted by BGR, it’s clear that Verizon is selling more phones than AT&T anyway – we’d be curious to know how many Apple planned to sell in the first week.
To sum up, Verizon is already outselling AT&T (in “prominent stores”) with a 8-month old device, yet it’s not meeting Apple’s expectations. Interesting.
Unlock More with Club MacStories
Founded in 2015, Club MacStories has delivered exclusive content every week for over six years.
In that time, members have enjoyed nearly 400 weekly and monthly newsletters packed with more of your favorite MacStories writing as well as Club-only podcasts, eBooks, discounts on apps, icons, and services. Join today, and you’ll get everything new that we publish every week, plus access to our entire archive of back issues and downloadable perks.
The Club expanded in 2021 with Club MacStories+ and Club Premier. Club MacStories+ members enjoy even more exclusive stories, a vibrant Discord community, a rotating roster of app discounts, and more. And, with Club Premier, you get everything we offer at every Club level plus an extended, ad-free version of our podcast AppStories that is delivered early each week in high-bitrate audio.
Choose the Club plan that’s right for you:
- Club MacStories: Weekly and monthly newsletters via email and the web that are brimming with app collections, tips, automation workflows, longform writing, a Club-only podcast, periodic giveaways, and more;
- Club MacStories+: Everything that Club MacStories offers, plus exclusive content like Federico’s Automation Academy and John’s Macintosh Desktop Experience, a powerful web app for searching and exploring over 6 years of content and creating custom RSS feeds of Club content, an active Discord community, and a rotating collection of discounts, and more;
- Club Premier: Everything in from our other plans and AppStories+, an extended version of our flagship podcast that’s delivered early, ad-free, and in high-bitrate audio.