As usual with keynotes in recent years, Apple’s CEO Tim Cook walked on stage today and offered an overview of the company’s state of the business and other noteworthy statistics. These numbers, which Apple typically shares during the year in separate press releases or product announcements, are always interesting as they provide a complete picture of Apple’s sales, installed base, and more.
- 24th WWDC, longest developer conference with attendees from 60 countries
- 6 million registered developers, 1.5 million since WWDC 2012
- WWDC 2013 was sold out in 71 seconds
- Over 1 million people per day visited Apple retail stores last year
- 407 stores around the world in 14 countries
- There are 900,000 apps on the App Store
- There are 375,000 iPad apps
- 575 million accounts on the Store
- $10 billion paid to developers, $5 billion paid in the last year alone
- 72 million installed Macs
- 28 million Mountain Lion copies since announcement, best release yet
- 35% of users adopted Mountain Lion it in first six months
- 1.8 million iBooks available on the Store
- 300 million iCloud accounts
- 35 billion redownloads of iTunes content
- Game Center has over 240 million users
- 800 billion iMessages have been sent to date
- 7.4 trillion push notifications sent to date
- Over 600 million iOS devices sold
For more coverage, check out our WWDC 2013 news hub and follow @macstoriesnet on Twitter.
Unlock More with Club MacStories
Founded in 2015, Club MacStories has delivered exclusive content every week for over six years.
In that time, members have enjoyed nearly 400 weekly and monthly newsletters packed with more of your favorite MacStories writing as well as Club-only podcasts, eBooks, discounts on apps, icons, and services. Join today, and you’ll get everything new that we publish every week, plus access to our entire archive of back issues and downloadable perks.
The Club expanded in 2021 with Club MacStories+ and Club Premier. Club MacStories+ members enjoy even more exclusive stories, a vibrant Discord community, a rotating roster of app discounts, and more. And, with Club Premier, you get everything we offer at every Club level plus an extended, ad-free version of our podcast AppStories that is delivered early each week in high-bitrate audio.
Choose the Club plan that’s right for you:
- Club MacStories: Weekly and monthly newsletters via email and the web that are brimming with app collections, tips, automation workflows, longform writing, a Club-only podcast, periodic giveaways, and more;
- Club MacStories+: Everything that Club MacStories offers, plus exclusive content like Federico’s Automation Academy and John’s Macintosh Desktop Experience, a powerful web app for searching and exploring over 6 years of content and creating custom RSS feeds of Club content, an active Discord community, and a rotating collection of discounts, and more;
- Club Premier: Everything in from our other plans and AppStories+, an extended version of our flagship podcast that’s delivered early, ad-free, and in high-bitrate audio.