Photo courtesy of Jason Snell at Six Colors.
Every year, Apple kicks off their product presentations with a “state of the business” introduction that, with various numbers and facts, reveals how the company is doing in several areas such as retail, the App Store, iOS device sales and software upgrades, and Mac sales.
At today’s media event in Cupertino, Apple CEO Tim Cook shared only a few details about the launch of new iPhones, but the company still revealed some interesting numbers and statistics throughout the keynote.
- 48% of customers have already updated to iOS 8 after 4 weeks; 46% of them remain on iOS 7, and 6% on “other” versions of iOS.
- Another 500 banks have confirmed they will support Apple Pay.
- More than a million members of the Mac community signed up for the Yosemite public beta.
- 225 million iPads have been sold to date.
- 675,000 apps have been created specifically for the iPad.
- The new iPad Air 2 is 6.1 mm thin; 18% thinner than the first iPad Air.
- The new A8X chip of the iPad Air 2 has a 40% faster CPU, 2.5x faster GPU.
- The Mac’s line has been growing 18% year-over-year.
- The iMac’s new Retina 5K display has 67% more pixels than 4K.
For more coverage, check out our October 16 news hub and follow @macstoriesnet on Twitter.
Unlock More with Club MacStories
Founded in 2015, Club MacStories has delivered exclusive content every week for over six years.
In that time, members have enjoyed nearly 400 weekly and monthly newsletters packed with more of your favorite MacStories writing as well as Club-only podcasts, eBooks, discounts on apps, icons, and services. Join today, and you’ll get everything new that we publish every week, plus access to our entire archive of back issues and downloadable perks.
The Club expanded in 2021 with Club MacStories+ and Club Premier. Club MacStories+ members enjoy even more exclusive stories, a vibrant Discord community, a rotating roster of app discounts, and more. And, with Club Premier, you get everything we offer at every Club level plus an extended, ad-free version of our podcast AppStories that is delivered early each week in high-bitrate audio.
Choose the Club plan that’s right for you:
- Club MacStories: Weekly and monthly newsletters via email and the web that are brimming with app collections, tips, automation workflows, longform writing, a Club-only podcast, periodic giveaways, and more;
- Club MacStories+: Everything that Club MacStories offers, plus exclusive content like Federico’s Automation Academy and John’s Macintosh Desktop Experience, a powerful web app for searching and exploring over 6 years of content and creating custom RSS feeds of Club content, an active Discord community, and a rotating collection of discounts, and more;
- Club Premier: Everything in from our other plans and AppStories+, an extended version of our flagship podcast that’s delivered early, ad-free, and in high-bitrate audio.