Edovia released Screens for iPhone and iPad last week, and it quickly became thousands of people’s new favorite VNC client for iOS. The app makes it easy to access a computer remotely and actually use it on the iPhone or iPad thanks to the support for multi-touch. No mouse cursors to move, you just touch the windows. Also, Edovia’s Screens Connect feature is simply great to log in a computer while on the go with a 3G connection. Tested last week and it was perfect.
Screens was updated a few minutes ago, and this 1.1 version brings a lot of improvements, new features and bug fixes to make the app even better. Screens now supports customizable 3-finger gestures to map to any action you want and lets you launch the Mac’s app switcher with a 4-finger gesture. Edovia improved SSH in the app, which now allows for an address for the SSH tunnel, lets you customize the port and also doesn’t force you to activate SSH tunneling when connecting to a computer on a local network.
The list of changes and bug fixes is huge, so check it out below. Support for more gestures single-handedly makes this update worth it, so go buy the app at $14.99 now if you still haven’t. Screens is the best VNC client for iOS, hands down.
- Resolved issue where Getting Started Guide would be blank
- Removed settings from Settings.app
- Fixed Ctrl-Alt-Del shortcut for Windows
- Fixed RealVNC, VMWare VNC and OXSVnc issues
- Fixed German keyboard
- Fixed issues with VNC passwords longer than 8 characters
- Fixed Cancel button not being responsive while connecting
- Fixed crashes
- Misc bug fixes
- 3 fingers gestures mapped to customizable shortcuts
- 4 fingers left-right swipe now opens app switcher
- VNC password no longer mandatory
- You can now specify an address for the SSH tunnel
- SSH port now customizable
- You can now disable SSH tunneling when connecting to your computer on a local network (if resolved)
- Improved Getting Started Guide
- Now connects with local address if computer was resolved before attempting to use Screens Connect
- Several UI tweaks
- Improved connection status window
- Several speed and performance improvements
* Some features and bug fixes may require Screens Connect v1.1 so please update if it is installed on your computer.