And after the first unboxing photos and videos, here we have the first teardowns from iOS hardware experts iFixit and iFixyouri. The guys at iFixyouri are doing a live streaming teardown in collaboration with 9to5mac, they're currently a heat gun to remove the front panel (which is attached with a lot of glue, as noticed by iFixit).
- iFixit is updating their iPad 2 WiFi teardown gallery as we speak, they've already discovered the iPad 2's battery is just about the same of the iPad 1 - a 3.8V, 25 watt-hour unit.
- iPad 2 model number is A1395.
- Broadcom BCM5974 CKFBGH I/O microcontroller with NVM (also used in iPad 1)
- WiFi controller, again, from Broadcom: BCM43291HKUBC
- iPad uses three cells to achieve its 10 hour battery life
Here's the logic board, featuring the Apple A5 chip:
- Apple A5
- Toshiba TH58NVG7D2FLA89 16GB NAND Flash
- Apple 343S0542
- Texas Instruments (TBD)
- S6T2MLC N33C50V Power Management IC
The teardown reveals a tiny gyroscope (AGD8 2103) and small speakers, in spite of the big speaker grill the iPad has on its back: