As it does with every event, Apple sprinkled facts, figures, and statistics throughout the keynote today. Here are highlights of some of those metrics from the event, which was held online from the Steve Jobs Theater in Cupertino, California.
The New iPad Pros
- The maximum storage capacity of the iPad Pro has been increased to 2TB and the storage is up to 2x faster.
- Graphics performance is 40% faster than the A12Z iPad Pro and 1500 times faster than the original iPad.
- The M1 in the iPad Pros is 75 times faster than the original iPad and 50% faster than the A12Z iPad Pro’s CPU.
- 5G mobile connectivity is available worldwide, with millimeter wave limited to the US.
- The iPad Pros support WiFi 6.
- Storage options range from 128GB to 2TB.
- The 11” iPad Pro weighs 1.03 pounds (466 grams) unless you get the cellular model, which adds .01 pound (4 grams), while the 12.9” model weighs in at 1.5 pounds (682 grams) and a smidge more for the cellular model.
- Apple revealed that the 1TB and 2TB models feature a whopping 16GB of memory, while the lower capacity models have 8GB.
- The Liquid Retina XDR display on the 12.9” iPad Pro has 10,000 Mini-LEDs, 2596 local dimming zones, a 1,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio, 1000 nits of full screen brightness, and 1600 nits of peak brightness.
- The 11” model is 2388 x 1668 pixels with a 600 nit brightness.
- Both screens have 1.8% reflectivity.
- The new TrueDepth camera has a 12MP sensor, with a 122-degree field of view and 𝑓/2.4 aperture.
- The TrueDepth camera captures video at 1080p and 25, 30, or 60 fps.
- The iMac comes in 7 gorgeous colors for the 8-core GPU model and 4 for the 7-core GPU model.
- The M1 in the iMac is up to 85% faster than the model it replaces, the GPU is up to 2 times faster, and machine learning tasks are up to 3 times faster.
- The CPU has 8 cores, the GPU has 7 or 8 cores depending on the model you get, and the Neural Engin has 16.
- Unified memory starts at 8GB and goes up to 16GB.
- Storage starts at 256GB and goes up to 2TB.
- The Thunderbolt ports on the iMac support USB 4.
- The FaceTime HD camera on the iMac has a 1080p resolution.
- The iMac’s Retina display is 4.5K with 218 pixels per inch.
- The iMac has 3 pairs of speakers for a total of 6.
- The iMac features a 3-microphone array.
- The power cord is 2 meters long.
- Yes, there is a headphone jack, and yes, it is the 3.5mm variety.
- The 7-core GPU iMac weighs 9.83 pounds, which is also 4.46 kilograms. However, the 8-core GPU model weighs in at a ‘hefty’ 20 grams more.
Apple TV 4K
- The device streams 4K video just as the name suggests.
- At 5.8 x 1.4 inches, the Siri Remote is a little larger than the one it replaces and weighs 63 grams.
- The Apple TV 4K now supports Bluetooth 5 an upgrade to the older model’s Bluetooth 4.
- WiFi 6 is supported.
- The new Apple TV 4K uses the A12 Bionic chip.
- The AirTag is rated IP67 for water and dust resistance.
- 31 different emoji can be engraved on the AirTag, but not all at once. Sorry.
- You can spend $449 on a luggage tag for your $29 AirTag thanks to Hermès, who are kind enough to throw the AirTag in at that price.