Along with announcing the dates for WWDC 2012, Apple has today also opened nominations for this year’s Apple Design Awards. The award, which aims to “recognize state of the art iOS and OS X apps that reflect the very best in design, innovation, and technology adoption” has become a staple of every WWDC and is perhaps the most prestigious recognition an Apple developer can receive. The award criteria is founded in the following characteristics:
- Well-Designed: Apps that are inviting, engaging, easy to use, intuitive, and compelling.
- State of the Art: Apps that take advantage of the latest hardware, OS releases, and technologies to offer rich functionality, high performance, and extensive system integration.
- Innovative: Apps that are revolutionary, inspiring, and do things in new and creative ways.
To be considered for the award, the app must be on the App Store or Mac App Store by May 1st in order to be eligible, but a nomination is not necessary (Apple can choose the award winner regardless of whether it was nominated or not). Developers can nominate an app via Apple’s developer portal.
You can also review the winners of the 2011 Apple Design Awards.
Unlock More with Club MacStories
Founded in 2015, Club MacStories has delivered exclusive content every week for over six years.
In that time, members have enjoyed nearly 400 weekly and monthly newsletters packed with more of your favorite MacStories writing as well as Club-only podcasts, eBooks, discounts on apps, icons, and services. Join today, and you’ll get everything new that we publish every week, plus access to our entire archive of back issues and downloadable perks.
The Club expanded in 2021 with Club MacStories+ and Club Premier. Club MacStories+ members enjoy even more exclusive stories, a vibrant Discord community, a rotating roster of app discounts, and more. And, with Club Premier, you get everything we offer at every Club level plus an extended, ad-free version of our podcast AppStories that is delivered early each week in high-bitrate audio.
Choose the Club plan that’s right for you:
- Club MacStories: Weekly and monthly newsletters via email and the web that are brimming with app collections, tips, automation workflows, longform writing, a Club-only podcast, periodic giveaways, and more;
- Club MacStories+: Everything that Club MacStories offers, plus exclusive content like Federico’s Automation Academy and John’s Macintosh Desktop Experience, a powerful web app for searching and exploring over 6 years of content and creating custom RSS feeds of Club content, an active Discord community, and a rotating collection of discounts, and more;
- Club Premier: Everything in from our other plans and AppStories+, an extended version of our flagship podcast that’s delivered early, ad-free, and in high-bitrate audio.