As usual with every Apple product announcement, keynotes start with “state of the business” introduction that, through various numbers and facts, reveals how the company is doing in several areas such as retail, the App Store, and hardware sales. At today’s media event in San Francisco, Apple CEO Tim Cook shared some interesting details on a variety of subjects.
- The new Apple retail store in Barcelona is made of limestone from a local quarry.
- Apple is opening a new retail store in the 13th country (Sweden) this Friday.
- There are 380 Apple retail stores worldwide.
- Customers’ response to Mountain Lion has been “fantastic”. Seven million copies have been downloaded to date.
- 17 million iPads have been sold in the last quarter (April-June).
- More iPads were sold than any other PC maker sold of their entire line-up.
- 84 million iPads have been sold to date.
- iPad’s share of the tablet market went up from 62% last year to 68% in spite of the competition.
- iPad accounts for 91% of web traffic from tablets.
- 94% of Fortune 500 are testing or deploying iPads.
- The App Store has now over 700,000 apps. 250,000 are made exclusively for the iPad.
- 90% of all apps are downloaded every month.
- More than 100 apps are downloaded per customer on average.
- 400 million iOS devices have been sold through June 2012.
For more coverage, check out our September 12 news hub and follow @macstoriesnet on Twitter.
Unlock More with Club MacStories
Founded in 2015, Club MacStories has delivered exclusive content every week for over six years.
In that time, members have enjoyed nearly 400 weekly and monthly newsletters packed with more of your favorite MacStories writing as well as Club-only podcasts, eBooks, discounts on apps, icons, and services. Join today, and you’ll get everything new that we publish every week, plus access to our entire archive of back issues and downloadable perks.
The Club expanded in 2021 with Club MacStories+ and Club Premier. Club MacStories+ members enjoy even more exclusive stories, a vibrant Discord community, a rotating roster of app discounts, and more. And, with Club Premier, you get everything we offer at every Club level plus an extended, ad-free version of our podcast AppStories that is delivered early each week in high-bitrate audio.
Choose the Club plan that’s right for you:
- Club MacStories: Weekly and monthly newsletters via email and the web that are brimming with app collections, tips, automation workflows, longform writing, a Club-only podcast, periodic giveaways, and more;
- Club MacStories+: Everything that Club MacStories offers, plus exclusive content like Federico’s Automation Academy and John’s Macintosh Desktop Experience, a powerful web app for searching and exploring over 6 years of content and creating custom RSS feeds of Club content, an active Discord community, and a rotating collection of discounts, and more;
- Club Premier: Everything in from our other plans and AppStories+, an extended version of our flagship podcast that’s delivered early, ad-free, and in high-bitrate audio.