iPhone news website and repository Planet-iPhones launched at the end of April Cydia Search, an online interface that allows you to browse tweaks, apps, utilities and themes available on Cydia. The web app, accessible from any computer and browser, is not meant to replace Cydia -- as the name suggests, it provides a streamlined view of Cydia and the packages inside it, enabling you to browse everything without using your iPhone's Cydia app, which can be slow sometimes. Cydia Search lets you search apps by name, author or description, comes with an embedded iPhone template to see what the package will look like in the actual Cydia (as seen in the screenshot above) and has a pretty huge list of default repositories, top packages, categories, recent updates and latest packages.
Among the features of Cydia Search:
- View a listing of the most popular packages based on user ratings, the newest packages added, and even recently updated packages.
- Each package offers detailed descriptions complete with screenshots, author/developer info, etc.
- Listings clearly show paid packages in a different color similar to the way Cydia does.
- All packages are clearly labeled whether or not they are from a default major repository.
- RSS feeds are available for the newest packages list, recent updated packages list, and also for any search query.
If you've been looking for an elegant way to see what's in Cydia without grabbing your iPhone or, more importantly, being forced to jailbreak, Cydia Search is a solid solution we hope will stick around for months to come. You can head over Cydia Search now and start browsing hacks and themes to install on your jailbroken iOS device. [via TUAW -- Planet-iPhones]