Yesterday Box launched version 4.0 of its iPhone and iPad app. The update includes a full visual refresh featuring brighter colors and a design that seems to blend better with iOS as a whole.
In addition to the fresh coat of paint, the new version of Box focuses on three main goals:
- Quick access to important data
- A delightful media experience
- Easy editing
In the area of having quick access to the files you need, Box’s iOS app already had a leg up in my mind over other large cloud providers. I’ve always loved the ability to mark a file as favorite for quick access. With the changes in 4.0, though, it’s clear that now the entire app’s interface prioritizes having a quick, easy way to find what you’re looking for. Out of the app’s four main navigation tabs, three of them – Recents, Offline, and Favorites – focus on reducing the amount of file hunting you have to do. In addition to these ever-present options, every menu has a prominent search bar at the top.
The media viewing experience in Box has also been improved to be both more attractive and more responsive. Swiping between photos is fluid and enjoyable. Regardless of the type of file you’re viewing, you can dismiss the file by swiping down, a gesture many of us have grown familiar with thanks to other apps, such as Twitter.
Box 4.0 is available now as a free download on the App Store.
Unlock More with Club MacStories
Founded in 2015, Club MacStories has delivered exclusive content every week for over six years.
In that time, members have enjoyed nearly 400 weekly and monthly newsletters packed with more of your favorite MacStories writing as well as Club-only podcasts, eBooks, discounts on apps, icons, and services. Join today, and you’ll get everything new that we publish every week, plus access to our entire archive of back issues and downloadable perks.
The Club expanded in 2021 with Club MacStories+ and Club Premier. Club MacStories+ members enjoy even more exclusive stories, a vibrant Discord community, a rotating roster of app discounts, and more. And, with Club Premier, you get everything we offer at every Club level plus an extended, ad-free version of our podcast AppStories that is delivered early each week in high-bitrate audio.
Choose the Club plan that’s right for you:
- Club MacStories: Weekly and monthly newsletters via email and the web that are brimming with app collections, tips, automation workflows, longform writing, a Club-only podcast, periodic giveaways, and more;
- Club MacStories+: Everything that Club MacStories offers, plus exclusive content like Federico’s Automation Academy and John’s Macintosh Desktop Experience, a powerful web app for searching and exploring over 6 years of content and creating custom RSS feeds of Club content, an active Discord community, and a rotating collection of discounts, and more;
- Club Premier: Everything in from our other plans and AppStories+, an extended version of our flagship podcast that’s delivered early, ad-free, and in high-bitrate audio.