The iStick by Hypershop is a USB (Mac+PC) flash drive with an integrated Apple-approved Lightning connector. Made to work for any current generation iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch that has a Lightning port, the iStick allows users to easily and safely move data between computers, iPhones, iPads and iPod touches without using iTunes, the web, or any other online service.
USB flash drives are great, but they don’t work with our Apple iOS devices; the iStick solves this problem by adding a Lightning connector into the other side of the USB drive.
The iStick also has a dedicated iOS app that lets you browse the device to view media or save files to your device. Current iStick features include:
- Free universal iPhone/iPad/iPod touch iOS app
- Music & Movie Player (able to decode MKV, RMVB, AVI, WMV etc.)
- 1080p HD movie streaming, direct playback from iStick
- Photo & Document (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, PDF, iWork) Viewer
- Open files directly on the iStick without the need to copy to iDevice
- Copy/Move files between iDevice and iStick
- File Management (Copy/Cut/Paste/Delete/Rename/Create Folder)
- Backup photos/videos from iDevice Camera Roll to iStick
- Support “Open In” functionality
- Open files from other apps in iStick app
- Open files from iStick in other apps
- iOS Contacts backup and restore
The Kickstarter project is looking for $100,000 US and ends in 34 days. It already has over 2,000 backers with a total of $320,000 in funding. So if you pledge now, you’re guaranteed to be one of the first people to receive an iStick before they hit the streets. Contributions start at $79 dollars and go up to $5,000. The money that Hypershop is getting from this campaign will bring the iStick to iOS users worldwide. The money will pay for mass production tooling and large component orders. They plan on shipping it on or before August 2014.
The iStick has capacities of 8 GB/16 GB/32 GB/64 GB/128 GB and the $79 pledge ($50 off the retail price) will get you an 8 GB device. To read more about the iStick or if you want to pledge, the Kickstarter page has all the information you’re looking for.