The Mac App Store went live less than an hour ago and as I installed the OS X 10.6.6 update required to use the new Store, I rebooted my computer and logged in the Mac App Store using my Apple ID. As I tried to download a free app, the Mac App Store returned Error 100, saying:
We could not complete your App Store request. An unknown error occurred.
We’re also getting several reports from users still unable to download apps from the Mac App Store because of this error. The cause seems to be lying in the fact that in the first minutes the Mac App Store went live and Apple let users log in with Apple IDs, they didn’t include the updated Terms and Conditions to accept before start using the Store. Thus many users, including me, logged in without accepting the Terms and were unable to download apps because they were stuck in some sort of “limbo”.
Here’s how you can fix it:
- Sign out from the Mac App Store. You can do it by accessing the “Quick Links” section in the Mac App Store homepage and clicking on “Account”. Sign out.
- Quit the Mac App Store app.
- Log out from your computer; log in again.
- Open the Mac App Store, sign in with your Apple ID, try to download a free app and accept the Terms and Conditions when asked. After that, the download should start.
- If a logout doesn’t fix the issue, restart your Mac instead. We’re hearing that a reboot fixed the problem for many users.
If you’re still experiencing the issue, please let us know in the comments.
Unlock More with Club MacStories
Founded in 2015, Club MacStories has delivered exclusive content every week for over six years.
In that time, members have enjoyed nearly 400 weekly and monthly newsletters packed with more of your favorite MacStories writing as well as Club-only podcasts, eBooks, discounts on apps, icons, and services. Join today, and you’ll get everything new that we publish every week, plus access to our entire archive of back issues and downloadable perks.
The Club expanded in 2021 with Club MacStories+ and Club Premier. Club MacStories+ members enjoy even more exclusive stories, a vibrant Discord community, a rotating roster of app discounts, and more. And, with Club Premier, you get everything we offer at every Club level plus an extended, ad-free version of our podcast AppStories that is delivered early each week in high-bitrate audio.
Choose the Club plan that’s right for you:
- Club MacStories: Weekly and monthly newsletters via email and the web that are brimming with app collections, tips, automation workflows, longform writing, a Club-only podcast, periodic giveaways, and more;
- Club MacStories+: Everything that Club MacStories offers, plus exclusive content like Federico’s Automation Academy and John’s Macintosh Desktop Experience, a powerful web app for searching and exploring over 6 years of content and creating custom RSS feeds of Club content, an active Discord community, and a rotating collection of discounts, and more;
- Club Premier: Everything in from our other plans and AppStories+, an extended version of our flagship podcast that’s delivered early, ad-free, and in high-bitrate audio.